Iran to pursue Gen Soleimani’s case until final redress: Spokesman
The spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry Nasse Kanaani says the country will continue to pursue a legal case against individuals and entities involved in the assassination of General Qassem Soleimani three years ago until a final redress is granted.
Kanaani said on Monday during his weekly press briefing that the Iranian Foreign Ministry and other government bodies have been cooperating to make a case against the United States government for its role in General Soleimani’s assassination.
He said legal efforts will continue in domestic, regional and international courts with “full seriousness” until a final settlement is reached.
General Soleimani, the former commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps’ Quds Force, was assassinated along with a number of his companions, including Iraqi popular forces Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes, in a US drone attack just outside the main airport in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad on January 3, 2020.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Kanaani touched upon the issue of relations between Iran and Egypt, saying that Iran welcomes any positive move in this regard.
He said that Iranian and Egyptian foreign ministers had held talks on the sidelines of the second edition of the Baghdad Conference which was held last month in Jordan.
During the talks, the two sides agreed to continue negotiations to work out a solution on consular issues between the two countries, the spokesman added.
“The two sides have basically no problems for (holding) dialogue, meeting, and bilateral exchange of views,” said Kanaani.
About the latest situation of Vienna talks on the removal of the sanctions, the spokesman said the exchange of messages continues at various levels; meanwhile, the ball is in the West’s court.
Based on a draft package made after months of intensive negotiations, the Islamic Republic will be ready to conclude the Vienna talks after its redlines are respected, he said stressing that such readiness is not forever.
Touching upon the issue of Afghanistan, the spokesman said the principled policy of the Islamic Republic includes helping Afghanistan to restore peace and security.
In the case of Afghanistan, Iran follows a conscientious stance because any occurrence in the neighboring country will affect Iran too as the two countries have joint border lines, he added.
Asked why Iran is not invited to a meeting with participation of Syria, Turkey, and Russia to review the Syria developments, the spokesman said the three countries are well aware of Iran’s leading role in the fight against terrorism and its efforts to support the Syrian people and government.
Asked to comment on the Zionist regime of Israel’s threats, the spokesman said the Israeli officials had better pay attention to the unsteady position of their new government.
He went on to stress that Tehran will respond to any threats, so they have to think seriously about the aftermath of those threats.
Further, Kanaani rejected Ukraine’s claim about Iran delivering drones to Russia for the Ukraine war, stressing that those countries which have accused Iran could not present findings yet to prove their claim.
On the question about the Iran-Saudi Arabia talks, the spokesman said the existing atmosphere is positive.
Touching upon the January 2020 crash of Ukraine’s passenger plane, the spokesman said the Iranian Foreign Ministry has received two writings about the issue from Ukraine, Canada, Switzerland, and the UK, adding that the Foreign Ministry is following up on the issue. He also said that Iran condemns any political misuse of the tragic incident of the Ukrainian plane.
In his remarks, the spokesman condemned the Zionist regime’s attack on Damascus airport in Syria and called on the United Nations and other international bodies to condemn the aggression.
Also, the spokesman referred to Iran’s frozen assets in Swiss banks and said the Islamic Republic, via its all legal and diplomatic capacities, is pursuing unfreezing of the assets.
At the end of his remarks, the spokesman read out the Foreign Ministry’s statement on the third martyrdom anniversary of General Soleimani.